How to Become a Ham Operator

Becoming a ham radio operator requires licensing by the FCC. There are three license classes with increasing frequency privileges. The entry level license is the Technician. With the Technician license you are able to operate on all VHF and higher frequencies. There are also limited HF privileges. If you want to use HF frequencies, those below 30 MHz, you will need a General class license. The Extra class gives you all the privileges on all the ham bands. Many people study on their own to obtain their first license as well as upgrade to higher classes of license.

The entry level Technician license isn’t difficult but does require some study. You can download a free study guide for the Technician license from KB6NU.

There are also commercially produced study guides available from the ARRL and Gordon West. More information about studying for your license is available from the ARRL, the National Association for Amateur Radio.

When you’re ready the test is given on the 2nd Saturday of every month at 8:30 am at the Midland Amateur Radio Club clubhouse. Visit the Midland VE Team webpage for more info.

The clubhouse is open for visiting most Saturday mornings from around 8:30 until 10:30 or so, The 2nd Saturday is for license testing. Come on by some Saturday and someone will be happy to answer all your questions. The clubhouse is located in Hogan Park next to Christensen Stadium.

We also have club meetings on the 2nd Monday of each month at 7:30 pm at the clubhouse. You’re welcome to attend any time!

Comments are closed.